Naturopathic Medicine is a regulated profession of health care that addresses the root causes of illness, and promotes health and healing using natural, non-invasive therapies. It supports your body’s own healing ability using an integrated approach to disease diagnosis, treatment and prevention that includes the following modalities:
- Clinical nutrition
- Botanical medicine
- Lifestyle & behavioural medicine
- Physical medicine (massage, hydrotherapy, sauna)
- Homeopathic medicine
- Traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture
Much like in conventional medicine, naturopathic doctors take detailed case histories, perform thorough physical examinations, and utilize imaging and laboratory studies whenever possible to diagnose and assess patients. Naturopathic doctors then seek to address health issues by finding the root cause and treating using only natural therapies and the ‘whole person’ model – body, lifestyle, and mind.
- Relies on the innate homeostatic mechanisms in the body to restore balance.
- Utilizes natural agents, elements, and exposures to restore this balance, often through actions that stimulate and provoke adaptive responses.
- Appreciates the restorative and nourishing influences that exposure to nature and the natural world have on health.
- Acknowledges the negative impacts on health of exposure to toxic substances.
- Knows that illnesses may be relieved through proper nutrition and that supplying key nutrients may restore health in cases of deficiency and increase the capacity to maintain and preserve good health.
- Believes the healing action brought on by sincere human interactions.
- Believes that the natural intelligence within the body is oftentimes adequate to restore homeostatic balance without further intervention, and that often the role of the physician is as passive observer or to provide gentle direction to trigger an adaptive response to restore balance of function.
In Ontario, Naturopathic Doctors have at least eight years of post-secondary education, graduate from one of the six accredited educational institutions in North America, receive their professional licensing from the College of Naturopaths of Ontario, as well as complete and pass two sets of international licensing exams.
Naturopathic medicine is covered by most extended health care plans.
You may find out more about naturopathic medicine in canada by visiting the CAND website.
To book an appointment with me: